Rushmore, John C.
(1921 – 2001)
John Charles Rushmore was born on July 4, 1921 in Yakima, Washington. He attended Yakima Valley Junior College before transferring to the University of Washington where he received his Bachelor’s degree in Architecture in 1949. Upon graduation, Rushmore worked for the firm of Victor Jones & Associates, and architects John Maloney, John Ridley, and Lawrence Waldron before deciding to form a partnership with Jack E. Woodman in 1953.
Known projects under the partnership include Pay n’ Save Store (1958) in Burien; Tradewell Market in Burien (1959 with Welton Becket & Associates), the Jack Winkler House (1954) in Hunts Point; and a spec house at 2306 125th Ave SE (1953) in Bellevue. For reasons unknown, the partnership was short-lived and the two parted ways in 1958, continuing their own independent practices.
Rushmore took the Tradewell account with him and designed several other stores, albeit more simple in design. These included stores in Columbia City (1960), Midway (1962), Issaquah (1962), Kent (1963).
Late projects include the Whidbey Island Telephone Company Building, Bellevue School Districts Transportation Facility (1960), the 1,500 seat Bellevue/John Danz Theater (1961); Bellevue Fire Station No. 14 (1961), an addition and skybridge to the Theta Chi Fraternity House (1964); and the $300,000 Eighth Street Building in Bellevue (1960) and the Kirkland Library (1966). His own home, built in 1954, was featured in Pacific Architect & Builder and utilized a laminated timber roof constructed of 2x4s laid on edge. Rushmore also completed numerous designs for the Bank of the West, including their branches in Renton (1969), Lake Hills in Bellevue (1967), West Benson Center (1969), and Kent (1969).
Rushmore practiced in Bellevue until his retirement in 1998 and passed away on August 18, 2001 in Bellevue.
– Michael C Houser