Peck, Raymond H.
(1917 – 1998)
Born November 8th, 1917, Raymond Holmes Peck received his formal architectural training at the University of Idaho graduating in 1940. He received his architectural license in 1943. A simple minimal traditional house featured in a 1947 issue of the Pacific Northwest Book of Homes brought Peck some notoriety and commissions following World War II.
Early projects include the conversion of a 1908 livery stable into a parking garage in 1949 in downtown Seattle; a house in the Wallingford neighborhood (c.1950); and the Les Teagle Restaurant (c.1955) in Seattle.
In 1955 Peck designed and built an office for his growing business. He shared the space with fellow architect John C. O’Brien, whom he collaborated with periodically on projects. The flat roof Miesian style office building was featured in the November 1955 issue of Pacific Architect & Builder and shows Peck’s increasing bent toward European International Style. The only documented project by Peck and O’Brien to date is the Casa Del Rey Apartments (c.1952) in Seattle, which was featured in a Concrete Products Association of Washington advertisement.
In 1956, Peck formed a limited partnership with fellow architect, John S. Detlie. This collaboration culminated in a design with architect B. Marcus Priteca for the Temple de Hirsch Sinai (1960) on Capitol Hill. The space-age cast concrete building received an AIA Honor Award in 1962. Other the Peck & Detlie name include the American Optical Company (1957), the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. store (1958) near Northgate Mall, MacPherson’s Real Estate Office – Lake City Branch (1959), the Beta Tau Fraternity House (1960) in Seattle; the Bellevue Christian Church (1960); and the General Cable Corp. Office & Warehouse (1960).
His most notable project was the Polynesia Restaurant (1961) on Pier 51 near the Seattle ferry dock, and the Polynesia Restaurant in Spokane (1962). The Seattle restaurant, demolished in 1981, consisted of three attached A-frame structures, lavishly ornamented with Hawaiian lava rock, Asian woods and heavy posts and beams all carved by Donald Keys and Donald Ingalls with Polynesian designs. Peck also served as the associate architect and construction supervisor for Seattle’s Cinerama Theater (1963). He also designed a model home for the 1956 Parade of Homes in Bellevue, and several of Dick’s Drive-Ins.
In 1964, Detlie returned to Los Angles to practice, and Peck formed a new partnership with C. Raymond Merriwether. Together the firm produced a wide variety of projects but mainly focused on apartment projects and care facilities. Notable work included the Merri-Vista Convalescent Center in Seattle (1964), the Merri-Crest Nursing Home in Everett (1964), and a wing of the West Seattle Hospital (1970). In 1971, Peck retired and the firm was bought out by Merrither.
Peck passed away in Seattle on June 12, 1998.
– Michael C Houser