Lamont, Daniel E.
(1912 – 1987)
Born on October 6, 1912 in Seattle, Daniel Elihu Lamont moved to the east coast as a child and graduated from high school in New Jersey. His formal architectural education began with classes at the University of Washington, Stanford and Yale. For reasons unknown, Lamont transferred to the University of Oregon and received his Bachelor’s degree in Architecture in 1937. While a student; one of his designs was featured in Architectural Forum for the AGA competition. Upon graduation he went to work for architect Gordon B. Kaufmann in Los Angeles, California. After working for a year, Lamont became the assistant chief zone architect for the Federal Housing Administration (1938-1940).
Lamont moved to Seattle in 1940 and joined the firm of Loveless & Fey. Within a year he became a partner, and the name of the firm was changed to Loveless, Fey & Lamont. Loveless left the firm in 1942 and the named was shortened to Lamont & Fey.
Early work by the firm includes the McLellan House (1948) and Miller House (1952), both in Seattle; the Auburn General Supply Depot (1952); Evans Pool at Green Lake Park (1955), and the Chief Joseph Dam Warehouse and Utility Shops (1955) near Bridgeport.
Other projects include Green Lake/Evans Pool (1955) in Seattle; the Matthews Beach Park Bathhouse in Seattle (1957, 1961); the Pacific Coast Paper Mills plant (1955) in Bellingham; the Norton Clapp Residence (1957) on Orcas Island; KOOK-Television Studios & Office Building (1959) in Billings, Montana; the Stimson Marina & Industrial Park (1960) in Seattle; the Cascade Natural Gas Corporation Office Building (1961) in Seattle; and the Engineering Building for the Lamb Grays Harbor Co (1964) in Aberdeen.
In 1957 Lamont & Fey formed a short-lived alliance with the Naval architect and engineering firm of W.C. Nickum & Sons. The new firm, known as Nickum, Lamont & Fey, designed several building together including the Seattle Art & Photo Supply Co. (1958). For reasons unknown, the partnership was dissolved in 1960. Under the Lamont & Fey name, later projects included a proposed swimming pool at Golden Gardens Park (1961); the co-operative apartment project at Sunset Beach Club (1961-62); Wilburton Elementary School (1963); Sherwood Forest Elementary School in Bellevue (1961), the West Beach Apartments (1966), and Olympic Stained Products Co. Office & Warehouse (1966).
Lamont & Fey parted ways in 1967. Before they departed, Lamont’s design for the Wallace Collins House on the shore of Lake Washington was featured in the summer 1965 issue of Architectural Digest. Lamont continued to work independently and retired in the late 1970s. Lamont died in Seattle in June 1987.
– Michael C Houser