Jones, John P.
(1892 – 1982)
Born in Maumee, Ohio on August 12, 1892, John Paul Jones attended Denison University in Granville, Ohio, (1911-1913) and the University of Pennsylvania (1914-1916) but never received a formal degree. He was employed by a variety of architects in the Midwest before migrating to Seattle in 1919 where he began working for the noted architectural firm of Bebb & Gould.
Recognized for his skills as a draftsman and designer, Jones became a junior partner of the firm in 1926. After Gould’s unexpected death in 1939, Charles Bebb made Jones a full partner and the firm was renamed Bebb & Jones (1939-1947). After WWII, Jones became the consulting architect for the University of Washington and had a significant impact on many campus buildings during this post-war period.
After Bebb’s retirement in 1947, Leonard Bindon became a partner (1947-1956) and the firm was renamed once again, this time to Jones & Bindon. Together, Jones & Bindon focused mainly on educational projects. Known designs included an addition to the Henry Suzzallo Library Building (1950) and the Student Union Building (known as the “Husky Union Building,” or “HUB,” 1952) for the University of Washington; the Music Building (1951) and Women’s Dormitory (1955) at Western Washington University in Bellingham; Van Asselt School (1950) and Cromwell Park Elementary School (1955) in Seattle; and Woodbridge Elementary School (1957) in Bellevue. Other projects included the University Congregational Church (1953) and the Pacific Telephone Company Accounting Building (1954), both in Seattle.
Jones retired from the firm in 1956, and it continued on as Bindon & Wright. Wanting to stay active in retirement, Jones opened a private practice for a couple of years designing small homes and apartment buildings including one at the southeast base of the Magnolia neighborhood (1962) where he acted as owner-architect-builder. Jones died in Bellevue in November of 1982.
– Michael C Houser