Hall, Harold W.
(1919 – 1976)
Everett architect Harold Wendell Hall was born in Pullman, WA, on April 13, 1919, but grew up in Everett and attended local schools there. He received his formal architectural education at the State College of Washington (later renamed “Washington State University,”) where he was awarded a BS in architectural engineering in 1941. An excellent student, Hall served as President of the Scarab architectural fraternity (1940). Upon graduation he was drafted during WWII and became an assistant engineer in the US Army Corps of Engineers (1941-42) and then served in the US Naval Reserves rising to the rank of Lieutenant (1942-45).
After the war, Hall went to work for architect Waldo Christenson (1946-47). He then formed a short-lived partnership with architect William A. Johnson in 1948. By 1949, he had started his own independent firm in Everett.
The design of his own home in Everett (1952) brought him much attention. The dwelling was featured in a variety of local, regional and national publications including the Seattle Times and Architectural Record. Such press coverage led to larger commissions. Notable projects include the master plan and seven buildings for Everett Junior College (1956-67), a Federal Housing project (1952) in Everett, a Poultry Processing Plant (1953) in Sunnyside, View Ridge Elementary School (1954) in Everett, a Medical-Dental Building (1957) in Everett, and the Manito Shopping Center (1969) in Spokane.
A big boost to his business came in 1957 when Hall was awarded a contract to provide designs for twelve Safeway Stores across the Pacific Northwest. Projects included several stores in Seattle as well as designs for these Washington cities: Olympia, Tacoma, Renton, Chehalis, Edmonds and Wenatchee. The company was pleased with these designs and asked Hall to also create its main office and warehouse building (1960) in Bellevue.
With business booming, in 1961 Hall was joined by David W. Dykeman and the firm was renamed Hall & Dykeman. Later Charles B. Ogden joined the partnership. The two remained at the firm until 1967, when Dykeman and Ogden decided to leave to start their own firm.
Other notable projects by Hall include the Hawthorne Elementary School (1951) in Everett, First National Bank of Everett – Lynwood Branch (1957), Everett Herald Offices (1958), Pay ‘n’ Save Drug Stores in Seattle’s Wedgwood and University District neighborhoods, Bremerton, Everett and Aberdeen (1959-70), Seattle First National Bank’s Everett Office Building (1964), Seattle Sporting Goods Company’s “Sportsland Store” (1964), Ernst Hardware Stores in Seattle, Tri-Cities, Tacoma (1966-71), and First Federal Savings & Loan branches in South Everett (1969), Arlington (1970) and Federal Way (1972).
Hall was heavily involved in a variety of public service activities. He served on the Everett Planning Commission from 1953 to 1959, was the Vice-President of the American Institute of Architects, Washington State Chapter (1957-59); and the Chairman of the Washington State Council of Architects (1959).
Hall continued to work until his sudden death in Everett on April 2, 1976 at the young age of 56. By that time Benjamin Edwards and Darlene Gilstad had joined the firm, which by then had been renamed The Hall Associates.
– Michael C Houser