Bellamy, Tennyson F.
(1906 – 1974)
A native of Troy, Idaho, Tennyson (Tennys) Francis Bellamy grew up in Seattle graduating from Broadway High School. In 1928 he graduated from University of Washington with a Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, and after school decided to continue his education with another Bachelor’ degree, this time in Fine Arts, from Yale University in 1930. While there, Bellamy gained practical experience by working for a number of architectural firms in Boston, Massachusetts. Upon graduation, he returned to Seattle and worked for several architects including Ellsworth Story, and the architectural firms of Schack, Young & Meyers, and Grainger & Thomas. After receiving his Washington state architectural license in December of 1934, he opened his own private practice.
His first big project was serving as staff architect for the Century of Progress World’s Fair in Chicago. In 1937 Bellamy was appointed staff architect for the Blue Ridge Development Company. From 1937 to 1941 he designed numerous homes for developer Hugh Russell, many of which garnered design recognition and accolades in local and regional newspapers. His spec home at 10011 Valmay Avenue won a Good Housekeeping merit award.
After the war, Bellamy branched out into commercial designs. Notable projects include the Eleventh Christ Science Church (1942), Snoqualmie Lodge for the Mountaineers Club (1948), the Standard Service Tire Co. Office on Denny Way (1950), the Fay Wilson Travel Service Office (1955), the Edsel Ford Dealership (1957); the Haven Hall Mausoleum in Anacortes (1957), and the Ayrest Laboratories (1958).
By the late 1950s, Bellamy began to specialize in shopping malls and supermarkets. Across the Puget Sound Region, he designed numerous A & P markets and Safeway stores. Reportedly he designed over 40 stores for the Safeway company. Projects can be found in Seattle, Kent, and Centralia, and as far east as Port Angles, and to the north, Bellingham.
Later projects included Stusser Electric Co. warehouse & office (1960), LeVeld Wholesale Drug (1962), Washelli Mausoleum (1964), the Teachers Credit Cooperative Building (1964), the PEMCO headquarters building (1964), the Pacific Lutheran Cemetery Mausoleum (1966), and a Woodinville factory and office for Fentron Industries (1968).
Bellamy was a regional director of the Society of American Registered Architects, a competing organization of the American Institute of Architects. in 1963 he was awarded their Gregson Leadership Award. One of his last projects before retirement, was serving as one of twelve architects chosen by the US Capitol Historical Society to conduct a condition assessment of the deterioration of the US Capitol building (1969).
Bellamy died in Puyallup, Washington, on May 29, 1974.
– Michael C Houser