Gardiner, James C.

(1917 - 1967)

James Cecil Gardiner was born in San Francisco on June 24, 1917, and was educated at the University of Southern California (1935-37, no formal degree). During the depression years leading up to WWII, he worked for a variety of architects scattered across the PNW including the firm of Russell, Lance & Muir in Tacoma (1937); Joseph Wohleb in Olympia (1938); Van Evera Bailey in Portland (1938); Herman C. Light in Los Angeles (1939); the Austin Co. in Seattle (1939); and the McClelland & Jones firm in Seattle (1940). During the war, he worked for the U.S. Navy Bureau of Yards & Docks and for the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers serving a a project architect (1941-46).

After the war and upon receiving his architectural license in 1946, Gardiner established an independent practice in Tacoma. His work ranged from residential to commercial and stretched from Seattle to Tacoma. Many of his designs can be found in a variety of architectural journals including Progressive Architecture. Among his notable projects are the State Department of Game Headquarters (1948) on Fairview Ave in Seattle which was featured in Progressive Architecture Magazine; and Gardinerís own home in Tacoma (1945).

In 1950, he moved to the Portland area, opening a new office in Beaverton. One year later he joined the Oregon Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. Among his notable works area are the Wherry Housing Project at Richland (1954); U.S. National Bank Addition - Beaverton Branch (1954); Lowman & Hanford Co. Warehouse (1958) in Seattle; Beaverton City Hall (1958); Forest Grove City Hall (1959); and Vose Elementary School (1960) in Beaverton. James C. Gardiner died in Oregon on March 13, 1967 at the age of 50.

-Michael C. Houser

Photo courtesy of Department of Architectural Licensing.
State Department of Game, Seattle (1948)<br> Photo courtesy of U of W Special Collections
Gardiner House, Tacoma (1945)<br> Photo courtesy of DAHP
Vose Elementary School, Beaverton (1960)<br> Photo courtesy of
Wherry Housing, Richland (1952)<br> Photo courtesy of House & Home Mag.
Photo courtesy of Department of Architectural Licensing.