Lumm, A. Gordon

(1900 - 2002)

Born on December 6, 1900 in Traer, Iowa, Allen Gordon Lumm attended schools in Colorado and California before completing his B.S. in Architecture at the University of Minnesota in 1925. Lumm worked briefly in Colorado before moving to Washington state. From 1931 to 1932, he practiced with fellow architects Ambrose J. Russell and Gaston Lance in Tacoma. Together, the firm of Russell, Lumm & Lance designed many period revival homes in the Tacoma area.
Lumm received his state architecture license in April 1930, and began his own practice in 1945. He received his National Council Certificate from the Architectural Registration Board in 1959. Although he had moved to Arizona in 1961, Lumm continued to maintain his Washington architecture license at least until 1965.

Lumm was involved in the design and alterations of many public buildings in Washington during the 1940s and 1950s. His largest projects included the Male Ward Building (1948) and Cadet Nurse Home (1947) at Western State Hospital near Steilacoom; the General Administration Building (1956) in Olympia; the County-City Building (1958) in Tacoma; and alterations and additions to the Salishan Housing Project (1958) in Tacoma. He also designed the Buckley Fire Station (1952); Steilacoom Fire Station (1953); Tacoma & Pierce County Health Department (alterations, 1950); Mountain View Sanatorium (1951) in Tacoma; Provident Building (alterations, 1952) in Tacoma; Riverside Infirmary (alterations, 1952) in Sumner; the Mark E. Reed Memorial Hospital (addition and alterations, 1956) in McCleary; and Columbia Basin Hospital (1957) in Ephrata.

Lumm was an active member of the Washington State Chapter of the A.I.A. from 1942-1965; was a member of the Tacoma Architects’ Association, and served on the Board of Architectural Examiners from 1947-49. He also served on the Pierce County Planning Commission from 1952 to 1957. Lumm passed away in Tacoma on November 30, 2002, just a few days shy of his 102nd birthday.

- Michael C. Houser

Photo courtesy of DAHP
General Administration Building, Olympia(1956)<br>Photo courtesy of DAHP.
City-County Building, Tacoma (1958)<br>Photo courtesy of DAHP.
Mountain View Sanitorium, Tacoma (1951)<br>Photo courtesy of DAHP.
Willard School, Tacoma (1952)<br>Photo courtesy of DAHP.
Lumm House, Tacoma (1955)<br>Photo courtesy of DAHP.
Photo courtesy of DAHP