Jones, Victor N.J.
Victor Noble Jarrott Jones was born in Exeter, Ontario on April 21, 1900. He received his formal education from the University of Washington (B.F.A. 1924), and the University of Pennsylvania (M.Arch. 1926). Upon graduation Jones worked for the firm of Wilson, Eyre & MacIlvaine (1926), and for Charles Z. Klauder in Philadelphia (1926-1928). By 1928, Jones had returned to the Pacific Northwest and began work with the firm of McClelland & Pinneh (1928-1930). By 1930, he became a partner and the name of the firm was changed to McClelland, Pinneh & Jones (1930-1932) and then McClelland & Jones (1932-1939) when Edward Pinneh left the practice. A national award for Architectural Forum’s “Modernize Main Street” competition brought the firm many commissions including several storefront remodels in downtown Seattle and Bremerton. In 1939, Jones formed a short-lived partnership with architect J. Lister Holmes (1939-1942), and took on an additional partner B. Dudley Stuart in 1940.
In 1942, Jones established his own practice (1942-1955), Victor N. Jones & Associates. Projects included the Shore Lodge (1948) in McCall, Idaho; the Administration Building (1950) and the first Medical School Building (1949-1952 with NBBJ) at the University of Washington; and the Veteran’s Housing Complex in Retsil (1953).
With the firm growing leaps and bounds, in 1951 Jones took on took on several new partners: Lloyd Lovegren, Kenneth Helms, and Gayne Jones. Together Jones, Lovegren, Helms & Jones (1951-1969) received many high profile commissions including Neill Hall & Kreugel-McAllister Hall (1957) at Washington State University in Pullman; Overlake Memorial Hospital in Bellevue (1957-1960); Preferred Acceptance Corp. Offices (1959); the Washington State Ferry Terminal on Seattle’s waterfront (1964-1967); the Rainier Branch of the Seattle First National Bank (1959); and Johnson Hall (1960) at Washington State University in Pullman.
Jones was active in the local chapter of the AIA serving as secretary (1938-1942) and then president 1945. He retired in 1959 and died in Maui, Hawaii on December 14, 1969.
- Michael C. Houser