Jones, John P.
Born in Maumee, Ohio on August 12, 1892, John Paul Jones attended Denison University in Granville, Ohio (1911-1913) and the University of Pennsylvania (1914-1916) but never received a formal degree. He was employed by a variety of architects in the Midwest before migrating to Seattle in 1919 where he began working for the noted architectural firm of Bebb & Gould.
Recognized for his skills as a draftsman and designer, Jones became a junior partner of the firm in 1926. After Gould’s unexpected death in 1939, Charles Bebb made Jones a full partner and the firm was renamed Bebb & Jones (1939-1947). After WWII, Jones became the consulting architect for the University of Washington and had a significant impact on many campus designs during this post-war period.
After Bebb’s retirement in 1947, Leonard Bindon became a partner (1947-1956) and the firm was renamed once again, this time to Jones & Bindon. Together, Jones & Bindon focused mainly on educational projects. Known designs include an addition to the Henry Suzzallo Library Building (1950) and the Student Union Building (1952) for the University of Washington; the Music Building (1951) and Women’s Dormitory (1955) at Western Washington University; Van Asselt School (1950) and Cromwell Park Elementary School (1955) in Seattle; and Woodbridge Elementary School (1957) in Bellevue. Other projects included the University Congregational Church (1953); and the Pacific Telephone Co. Accounting Building (1954), both in Seattle.
Jones retired from the firm in 1956, and it continued on as Bindon & Wright. Wanting to stay active in retirement, Jones opened a private practice for a couple of years designing small homes and apartment buildings including one at the south east base of the Magnolia neighborhood (1962) where he acted as owner-architect-builder. Jones died in Bellevue in November of 1982.
- Michael C. Houser